Last time, we looked at cleaning squid – or calamari – and this time I’m sharing my easy Smoky Salt & Pepper Squid, which serves 4 as a starter.
I’ve served this with a nam jim dipping sauce.
- 2 medium squid, cleaned
- 4 heaped tablespoons tapioca flour (you could use ordinary wheat flour, but it won’t be as light)
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt (I have used smoked salt),
- 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon smoked chilli/paprika
- Plain Oil for deep frying, I used basic vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons nam jim (or you could use sweet chilli sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice